[Samba] Set primary group of file on samba share from windows

Hubert Kario hka at qbs.com.pl
Mon Jan 9 03:53:26 MST 2012

On Monday 09 of January 2012 06:43:59 TAKAHASHI Motonobu wrote:
> From: Hubert Kario <hka at qbs.com.pl>
> Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 19:42:54 +0100
>
> > On Sunday 08 of January 2012 08:41:18 TAKAHASHI Motonobu wrote:
> > > From: Hubert Kario <hka at qbs.com.pl>
> > > Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 23:36:58 +0100

> > > As far as I examined we can change primary group via Samba under
> > > certain environment.
> >
> > I was referring to primary group of files and folders (mentioned in
> > "acl group control" section in smb.conf man page).
> > "set primary group script" is used for users, not files, AFAICT.
> >
> > I can set primary groups of users with my LDAP editor without
> > problem.
>
> Sorry, I was a little confused. I think the term "primary group"
> generally means the primary group of groups which an user belongs to.

That's how they are named in smb.conf man page, in contrast to groups defined
in ACL entries. Sorry to cause confusion.

> As far as I examined there is no way to display/change the owner group
> of files via Samba. Also in Samba 3.x, we cannot set any groups to
> an owner of a file.
>
> I think it's difficult to implement because Windows does not have the
> semantics of "owner group".

While displaying it is impossible (or at least non obvious), setting it using
the change owner dialog is quite logical (one displayed by clicking
Permissions from RMB menu, Security tab, Advanced button, Owner).

Regards,
--
Hubert Kario
QBS - Quality Business Software