[Samba] Set primary group of file on samba share from windows

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Sun Jan 8 22:43:59 MST 2012

From: Hubert Kario <hka at qbs.com.pl>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 19:42:54 +0100

> On Sunday 08 of January 2012 08:41:18 TAKAHASHI Motonobu wrote:
> > From: Hubert Kario <hka at qbs.com.pl>
> > Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 23:36:58 +0100
> >
> > > Unfortunately, I'm unable to set the primary group using windows
> > > file permissions dialog, I can only add and remove ACL groups.
> >
> > As far as I examined we can change primary group via Samba under
> > certain environment.
>
> I was referring to primary group of files and folders (mentioned in
> "acl group control" section in smb.conf man page).
> "set primary group script" is used for users, not files, AFAICT.
>
> I can set primary groups of users with my LDAP editor without
> problem.

Sorry, I was a little confused. I think the term "primary group"
generally means the primary group of groups which an user belongs to.

As far as I examined there is no way to display/change the owner group
of files via Samba. Also in Samba 3.x, we cannot set any groups to
an owner of a file.

I think it's difficult to implement because Windows does not have the
semantics of "owner group".

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>