[Samba] samba 4 how to enable winbindd

Alain Toussaint alain.toussaint at securivm.ca
Mon Feb 27 06:13:06 MST 2012

Hello,
	I configured a domain controller on a ubuntu server using samba 4
alpha 15 using ubuntu's distribution packages and followed this howto:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Winbind to have unix account for
domain users but winbindd is not running; these two commands from the howto
does not work:

Wbinfo -p
Wbinfo -u

I configured debug logging for pam as well as samba (log level 5) and all I
am getting is these log entries (among a few others):

Feb 27 07:38:07 shitbox dovecot-auth: pam_winbind(dovecot): getting password
(0x00000000)
Feb 27 07:38:07 shitbox dovecot-auth: pam_winbind(dovecot): internal module
error (retval = PAM_AUTHINFO_UNAVAIL(9), user = 'alain')
Feb 27 07:38:07 shitbox dovecot-auth: pam_winbind(dovecot): valid_user:
wbcGetpwnam gave WBC_ERR_WINBIND_NOT_AVAILABLE

I have tried to look up the smb.conf manpage but ubuntu install the manpage
for samba 3's winbindd, not samba 4 so I couldn't find the setting needed to
enable winbindd in samba 4.

Alain