[Samba] rpoblem: after renaming a directory permissions are changed

Heinz Hölzl heinz.hoelzl at gvcc.net
Mon Feb 20 01:45:39 MST 2012

Am 19.02.2012 08:56, schrieb TAKAHASHI Motonobu:
> From: Heinz_Hölzl <heinz.hoelzl at gvcc.net> Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012
> 09:22:25 +0100
>> i have a directory with permissions 750 wenn i rename a directory,
>> samba changes the permissions to 770. can everybody confirm this?
>> what is wrong? [sys] path = /samba read only = No directory mask =
>> 0770 inherit acls = Yes
> I re-produced your issue at my lab. You set "directory mask = 0770" at
> "sys". "directory mask" or such parameters is applied not only when
> creating directories but when manuplating directories. --- TAKAHASHI
> Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>
hi,

I tested this with all samba versions from 3.5.0 to 3.6.3.

with versions <= 3.5.1 directory mask was applied ONLY on creating
directories. since 3.5.2 something is different.

But, in the samba-releasenotes i cant find changes reguarding the
"directory mask" . Also the manpages from the differnt versions are
identical.

man smb.conf (samba 3.6.3):
directory mask:
This parameter is the octal modes which are used when converting DOS
modes to UNIX modes when "CREATING" UNIX directories.