[Samba] Samba 4 samba-tool user add fails[solved]

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sat Feb 18 04:50:45 MST 2012

On 02/18/2012 10:31 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 19:37 +0100, steve wrote:
>> samba-tool user add nfs-u
>> New Password:
>> ERROR(ldb): Failed to add user 'nfs-u':  - operations error at
>> ../source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/password_hash.c:2163
>>
>> Anyone?
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
> Steve,
>
> The best way to sort out an error like this, where you have the good
> fortune to have the exact failing line of the source code, is to open
> that file, and look at that happens on that line.
>
> In this case, it is:
>
> 	if (smb_krb5_init_context(ac,
> 				  ldb_get_event_context(ldb),
> 				  (struct loadparm_context *)ldb_get_opaque(ldb, "loadparm"),
> 				&io->smb_krb5_context) != 0) {
> 		return ldb_operr(ldb);
> 	}
>
> It appears that we could not initialise our krb5 context.  Have you set
> something strange in your krb5.conf that might be causing Heimdal
> trouble?
>
> The next step is to turn up the debug level -d5 should do it, but you
> can go up to -d10 for more detail.  Then see if there are more clues.
>
> A number of the things you are trying to do with Samba4 are still fairly
> novel, and so you may be hitting new ground from time to time.  Rest
> assured that I will keep trying to assist where I can, but you can also
> help by chasing down some of the debugging steps yourself.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Hi Andrew

Yes. I realize that we make too much noise here. Sorry.

And yes, we really should dust off our copies of K&R.

Also -1 for not following up:
We could not unlock the screensaver under a s4 linux session so we used
Yast to add krb5 auth. This created a new krb5.conf which also failed to
unlock the screensaver:-( We replaced it with the 4 liner from the
provision and samba-tool worked again.

Just for the record, this must be a openSUSE/pam issue as
gnome-screensaver on Ubuntu unlocks fine. There is a discussion on both
openSUSE and mit lists about this.

Cheers,
Steve