[Samba] asking better questions to help us all help each other

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Feb 18 13:35:22 MST 2012

On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 12:50 +0100, steve wrote:
> On 02/18/2012 10:31 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 19:37 +0100, steve wrote:
> >> samba-tool user add nfs-u
> >> New Password:
> >> ERROR(ldb): Failed to add user 'nfs-u':  - operations error at
> >> ../source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/password_hash.c:2163
> >>
> >> Anyone?
> >> Thanks,
> >> Steve
> > Steve,
> >
> > The best way to sort out an error like this, where you have the good
> > fortune to have the exact failing line of the source code, is to open
> > that file, and look at that happens on that line.
> >
> > In this case, it is:
> >
> > 	if (smb_krb5_init_context(ac,
> > 				  ldb_get_event_context(ldb),
> > 				  (struct loadparm_context *)ldb_get_opaque(ldb, "loadparm"),
> > 				&io->smb_krb5_context) != 0) {
> > 		return ldb_operr(ldb);
> > 	}
> >
> > It appears that we could not initialise our krb5 context.  Have you set
> > something strange in your krb5.conf that might be causing Heimdal
> > trouble?
> >
> > The next step is to turn up the debug level -d5 should do it, but you
> > can go up to -d10 for more detail.  Then see if there are more clues.
> >
> > A number of the things you are trying to do with Samba4 are still fairly
> > novel, and so you may be hitting new ground from time to time.  Rest
> > assured that I will keep trying to assist where I can, but you can also
> > help by chasing down some of the debugging steps yourself.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
> >
> Hi Andrew
>
> Yes. I realize that we make too much noise here. Sorry.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from posting.  You have hit up against a
number of very real issues.  Some of these (such as your .SITE referral
thing) can be detected and logged with a clearer message.  Others are
major deficiencies, such as not honouring the posix uidNumber and
gidNumber when set.

But I can provide you with less frustration and a more timely response
when you are able to take some of these debugging steps on your own,
before your post here.  Then (in this example) you can ask 'why would
changing the krb5.conf like ...' break things, or 'how can Samba be more
robust to someone changing the krb5.conf like ...'.

Please do not take this as a rebuke, just as a start on some tools and
techniques for to help me in helping you and so you can help others in
the same way.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett