[Samba] How to Force Domain Clients to use new PDC

Wikked One wikked1 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 16 07:37:46 MST 2012

Good Morning Samba Team,

                We’ve been using Samba 3.4.8 and
OpenLdap as an NT domain PDC for a number of years, running on CentOS 5.7 64 bit.   In the
meantime I’ve been configuring other systems to use a multimaster OpenLdap
backend and implement TLS.  Obviously the
first system does not communicate with the other 2 systems (now registered as
BDC system on the same domain).

I have imported the user,group and computer groups into the
newer systems so that all password and user information is synchronized.

We are also use Samba4Wins as our WINS server…..

Now my question:  I
can “promote” the target system I want to as the PDC by making a few changes to
the smb.conf as well as the config file on the current PDC.

When I use the old NT4 server manager tool the domain change
seems to take a few minutes to register, however many of the domain member
client systems (almost exclusively Windows XP Pro) are failing to recognize the
change and still use the old PDC to login.

How can I force the client systems to recognize the new PDC
?Is this dependent on the WINS servers?

Thanks!