[Samba] Samba4 user mapping into filesystem

Brantley Hobbs brantley.hobbs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 05:17:26 MST 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM, William Brown
<william.e.brown at adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
> You likely don't have ACL's enabled on the filesystem that samba is sharing.
> You can check with
>
> sudo tune2fs -l /dev/vg_lillie/lv_root | grep option
>
> replacing your disk into that command. You should see something like
>
> Default mount options:    user_xattr acl
>
> If not, you should enable the filesystem ACL using tune2fs, then reboot your
> machine.
>
> tune2fs -o acl /dev/sda1
>

> And this is why you don't use a mailing list while half asleep. I misread
> yoru problem. Probably still good to check that.
>
> Anyway, do you have the machine joined to its own domain? Are you running
> winbind to resolve the usernames etc?
>
> The issue you might be seeing is that while they have an owner that isn't
> there, if you use getfacl on the file it should have the ACL's to allow the
> group / user in question to read/write it. The non existent user could be
> due to winbind trying to map the user Id to an account, but you don't have
> the client side of the resolver setup, so it shows "non existant". using ls,
> check the numerical ID on the files.

Odd.  I certainly have the mount options in /etc/fstab, and using the
little test on the HOWTO
(https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO#NOTE_about_filesystem_support),
it's supposed to be working.  However, listing the filesystem options
with tune2fs shows "none" for "Default mount options".  "ext_attr"
does show as a feature in "Filesystem features" however.

To your other questions:

- I assume that provisioning the installation implicitly joined it to
the domain.  This is the only domain controller on a very small
network.  If provisioning didn't join it automatically, then no, it's
not joined to its own domain.

- Winbind isn't installed.  I followed the HOWTO, but didn't see a
step about installing winbind.

Like I say, everything else appears to be working fine.  I'm just
trying to wrap my head around the relationship between Samba's
internal users and the underlying filesystem permissions.

Thanks for you help!
Brantley