[Samba] Samba4 user mapping into filesystem

William Brown william.e.brown at adelaide.edu.au
Wed Feb 8 15:31:34 MST 2012

On 09/02/2012, at 08:51, William Brown wrote:

>> The problem is that when I set ACL's from a Windows computer, the
>> files with that owner can't be changed (i.e., Windows gives a
>> 'retry/continue/cancel" dialog).  If I change those files to
>> root:users, I can set ACL's on them all day long.
>

> You likely don't have ACL's enabled on the filesystem that samba is sharing. You can check with
>
> sudo tune2fs -l /dev/vg_lillie/lv_root | grep option
>
> replacing your disk into that command. You should see something like
>
> Default mount options:    user_xattr acl
>
> If not, you should enable the filesystem ACL using tune2fs, then reboot your machine.
>
> tune2fs -o acl /dev/sda1

And this is why you don't use a mailing list while half asleep. I misread yoru problem. Probably still good to check that.

Anyway, do you have the machine joined to its own domain? Are you running winbind to resolve the usernames etc?

The issue you might be seeing is that while they have an owner that isn't there, if you use getfacl on the file it should have the ACL's to allow the group / user in question to read/write it. The non existent user could be due to winbind trying to map the user Id to an account, but you don't have the client side of the resolver setup, so it shows "non existant". using ls, check the numerical ID on the files.

Sincerely,

William Brown

Research & Teaching, Technology Services
The University of Adelaide, AUSTRALIA 5005

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
IMPORTANT: This message may contain confidential or legally privileged
information. If you think it was sent to you by mistake, please delete all
copies and advise the sender. For the purposes of the SPAM Act 2003, this
email is authorised by The University of Adelaide.

pgp.mit.edu
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x3C0AC6DAB2F928A2