[Samba] Incorrect domain SID when creating new users

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Wed Feb 8 03:18:21 MST 2012

> I created a new user on our Samba domain master yesterday but the user
> was unable to login from WinXP to the domain. I think they got an
> error that a device connected to the system wasn't working. The user
> was created using smbldap-useradd.
>
> (...) The question is
> where do I set the domain SID? I remember doing it at some stage when
> I set-up the samba domain but I have forgotten.

The SID number is configured in /etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap.conf

smbldap-tools comes with a script to assist in the basic configuration
of the tools. It's called "configure.pl" in most versions but the name
was recently changed to "smbldap-config.pl"

At least in RedHat-alike distros, the script resides in
/usr/share/doc/smbldap-tools-x.x.x, where x.x.x is your particular
version. Current version is 0.9.7-1.