[Samba] Offline Caching

Mike Howard mike at dewberryfields.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 13:05:29 MST 2012

On 06/02/2012 06:43, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 10:47:49AM -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:
>>> Probably someone needs to take the time to port this feature from the
>>> Samba3 based fileserver to the Samba4 based one. Patches welcome:-)
>> Confused on both the question and answer...
>>
>> Is the question 'How do I enable offline caching for shares in
>> Samba4', or 'how do I *disable* offline caching for a specific share
>> in samba4'?
> My answer was in response to the "csc policy" parameter. The
> samba3 based file server has it, but it seems the samba4
> based one does not. So if you require the samba4 based file
> server for some reason, someone needs to port this feature
> to the samba4 based file server to fulfill your
> requirements.

So the info on the Samba4/Howto page about profiles is misleading then?
Do the roaming profiles need to stored on a different, samba3 box,
leaving the Samab4 box to to AD stuff only? The profiles area is still a
share being served and if caching isn't disabled, is subject to
corruption according to MS.

If that is the case, then a 'Franky' like setup, with both 3 & 4 on the
same box would make sense (at least to me). Is that viable?

Cheers.