[Samba] Samba 4 posixGroup mapping

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sun Feb 5 17:27:59 MST 2012

Hi
I've created a Samba 4 group called suseusers and mixed in posixGroup
and gidNumber using samba-tool group add as a basis.

It works, e.g. when I added an existing user to the group:
getent group suseusers
suseusers:*:2000:
and
getent passwd steve4
steve4:x:3000019:2000:steve4:/home/CACTUS/steve4:/bin/bash
and
id
uid=3000019(steve4) gid=2000(suseusers) groups=2000(suseusers)

but there seems to be something wrong with getent group. A local group
gives this:
getent group users
users:x:100:machine
x not  *

This happens both on the Samba 4 machine and a client with his /home
directory on nfs4. The uid:gid mappings and permissions are perfect at
both ends:) But what is the difference between the group info coming
from Samba 4 and the group info coming from /etc/group? I'm sure that
this is an error on my part, but I can't force it into failing no matter
what I throw at it.
Thanks,
Steve