[Samba] vfs_commit question.

Dharmesh_Patel at Dell.com Dharmesh_Patel at Dell.com
Mon Dec 17 16:40:31 MST 2012

Hello,

I am looking to check out the performance impact of vfs commit for different threshold values.  I downloaded samba3.6 for RHEL6 (http://www.enterprisesamba.org/samba-packages/red-hats-rhel/rhel-6/) and added the following settings in the smb.conf:

*         vfs objects = commit

*         commit:dthresh = 4K

Irrespective of dthresh value (4K, 64K, 512K) I don't see any performance impact.  I was expecting smaller dthresh value to cause negative performance impact.

I increased the samba logging to level 10 but other than successfully able to load vfs commit module I don't see any log message showing the dthresh value.  I grabbed for 'thresh', 'sync', 'flush'.

I appreciate your help.  Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Dharmesh Patel
IDM Engineering
Dell | PG Storage