[Samba] Problem with Samba4 installation - trouble at kinit

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Dec 24 16:29:26 MST 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-24 at 09:23 -0500, Lee Allen wrote:
> Hi.  I am following the steps in the Samba4 HOWTO:
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO
> and I run into trouble at this step:
>
> [root at samba-ad ~]# kinit administrator at ALLENLAN.NET
> "kinit: Cannot contact any KDC for realm 'ALLENLAN.NET' while getting
> initial credentials"
>
> I performed all of the previous testing steps in the document successfully.
>
> This is CentOS 6.3.  I started with Ubuntu 12.10 and ran into the same
> problem there, so clearly it's something I am doing wrong.
>
> When Samba is running, there is no listening socket on port 88.
>
> Does Samba implement the kerberos functionality internally?  If so, does it
> specifically look for /etc/krb.conf?

Yes, it implements a Kerberos KDC internally.

> If Samba does not implement Kerberos, should I have a Kerberos server
> running?  I am very unfamiliar with Kerberos. Which package should I have
> installed?

No additional package is required.

Have you installed from the Samba 4.0 tarball, git or is this a Samba
package you obtained from somewhere?  (Most Samba packages at this stage
are incomplete in one way or another, as distributions catch up with the
full and official Samba 4.0 release).

Are there any errors in the logs?

Is it bound to the other ports?

Thanks,