[Samba] Problem with Samba4 installation - trouble at kinit

Max Olivas molivas at northglenn.org
Mon Dec 24 08:33:28 MST 2012

At the beginning of the HOWTO there is a link to the OS Requirements page that lists all of the packages that need to be installed before compiling Samba 4, did you follow that part of the how to and install the prerequired software?

>>> Lee Allen <lee at leecallen.com> 12/24/2012 7:23 AM >>>
Hi.  I am following the steps in the Samba4 HOWTO:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO
and I run into trouble at this step:

[root at samba-ad ~]# kinit administrator at ALLENLAN.NET
"kinit: Cannot contact any KDC for realm 'ALLENLAN.NET' while getting
initial credentials"

I performed all of the previous testing steps in the document successfully.

This is CentOS 6.3.  I started with Ubuntu 12.10 and ran into the same
problem there, so clearly it's something I am doing wrong.

When Samba is running, there is no listening socket on port 88.

Does Samba implement the kerberos functionality internally?  If so, does it
specifically look for /etc/krb.conf?

If Samba does not implement Kerberos, should I have a Kerberos server
running?  I am very unfamiliar with Kerberos. Which package should I have
installed?

Thank you.