[Samba] Error with active Libvirt Bridge (virbr0)

Harry Jede walk2sun at arcor.de
Tue Dec 18 02:15:20 MST 2012

On 09:59:31 wrote Börje Johnsson:
> Just want to report an error in samba configuration / setup.
That is not a samba problem.

> I installed Samba 4 GA on a fresh installation of Ubuntu 12.04. The
> server is a testbed and has the virtualization package installed
> also.
>
> I have two network interfaces exept lo: eth0 and virbr0.
>
> In the provisioning step samba correctly finds my eth0 network
> interface:
>
>    Looking up IPv4 addresses
>    More than one IPv4 address found. Using 172.20.10.19
>
> After I provision Samba I try to test according to the HOWTO and host
> lookup fails:
>
> # host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.hrt.local
>
> After i disable virbr0 everything works as intended (i reran the
> provisioning step, haven't checked if that was nessesary).
So, you have found that the "bridge definition" from libvirt for the
bridge virbr0 is the problem.

The real problem is, that libvirt adds some iptable rules during bridge
creation. So, never ever use "libvirt created bridges".

To solve this, I prefer not to use libvirt for this task.
- create a host bridge br0 via brctl
- create a new interface or hook up the old one in libvirt gui to br0
- reboot the host !!!

--

regards

	Harry Jede