[Samba] Upgrade 4.0.0alpha14

Dan Clark dan at danclark.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 05:44:00 MDT 2012

Hey,

I am looking to upgrade my v4 installation to Beta6 (well, master - to
overcome the mem leak mentioned on the wiki). The end goal is to be on
Beta6 with the Samba4 on a new host in a remote location - but preserve
the same domain, accounts, SID's, etc.

I see on the wiki it mentions that I should get advice before trying this
from this list - so anything you can provide me with would be appreciated!

I pencilled out two options (are either feasible?):

1) Create new remote host, install v4 B6, join to existing domain, and
shift FSMO roles. Then, remove v4 A14 from the domain - and hey presto.

2) Remove v4 A14 from the machine, but preserve databases. Install v4 B6,
and attempt to upgrade the databases somehow (but I wouldn't know how to
start with that).

The current v4 A14 install was not upgraded from an earlier version - it
was installed fresh. Exact version is 4.0.0alpha14-GIT-e8bae4c.

Thanks for any advice,

Dan