[Samba] Making Happy Users ... I need to understand...

Marcio Merlone marcio.merlone at a1.ind.br
Mon Aug 13 08:19:36 MDT 2012

Em 07-08-2012 19:08, Marco Ciampa escreveu:
> Why I have to do this? If I have disabled browing profiles (am I right
> in disabling this option?) why I should exclude some dirs from the
> browsing profiles if they do not actually have any chance to be
> replicated?

The profiles share is important to have romaing profiles, i.e. user
profiles get saved on the server when the user logoff the workstation,
so it can be loaded on another machine, if the user changes workstation.
This is the source of slow-down login/logoff: the profile must be
transfered from and to the server.

If you disable this, obviously you loose also the feature. Disable if
you don't need it. This share is not meant for the admin to fool around
user's files, but to provide a feature.

Folder redirection is a mean to off-load this data transit between
server x workstation, pointing potentially 'fat' folders outside the
user profile, so they don't get touched on login/logout. Meaningless if
you disable profiles share.

Regards.

--
*Marcio Merlone*