[Samba] Making Happy Users ... I need to understand...

Marco Ciampa ciampix at libero.it
Mon Aug 13 08:41:45 MDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:19:36AM -0300, Marcio Merlone wrote:
> Em 07-08-2012 19:08, Marco Ciampa escreveu:
> >Why I have to do this? If I have disabled browing profiles (am I
> >right in disabling this option?) why I should exclude some dirs
> >from the browsing profiles if they do not actually have any chance
> >to be replicated?
>
> The profiles share is important to have romaing profiles, i.e. user
> profiles get saved on the server when the user logoff the
> workstation, so it can be loaded on another machine, if the user
> changes workstation. This is the source of slow-down login/logoff:
> the profile must be transfered from and to the server.

Understood.

> If you disable this, obviously you loose also the feature.

This is _not_ so obvious.
Since when you log on, if the user is not already present in the machine,
the user data is created by copying the "Default user" as a template
that _has_ these setting in the registry:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html#proffold

redirections inside the user registry.

> Disable if you don't need it.
> This share is not meant for the admin to fool
> around user's files, but to provide a feature.

Understood.

> Folder redirection is a mean to off-load this data transit between
> server x workstation, pointing potentially 'fat' folders outside the
> user profile, so they don't get touched on login/logout. Meaningless
> if you disable profiles share.

Understood. You could be right (probably) since all the hints received
here from this list _and_ the Samba manual examples tell me to _enable_
folder redirection to have this feature enabled.
I was just wondering why.
I thought that having the redirection already in the user registry that
could be enought. I'll do some tests. I am almost shure that I have to
leave it enabled to have the folder redirection working, I was only
asking myself why I have to do it.

Thanks to all.

--

Marco Ciampa