[Samba] Packet Size 'Tuning'

Guntram gbl at bso2001.com
Sat Aug 11 05:11:43 MDT 2012

IMO, this is not an error at all; instead, tcpdump is trying to analyze
the SMB packets, sees 1353 bytes of payload within the TCP packet (1353
bytes + 52 bytes headers = 1405 bytes seems to make sense to me), and,
since it's a continuation packet, can't analyze it any further.

Continuation packets are common with smb, if a client wants to read,
say, 16 KB from a file on the server, the server will send a SMB header
(which tools like tcpdump or wireshark can analyze), and approximately
12 (16 K / 1353 Bytes) continuation packets that contain file data (and
which analyzers can't make sense of). So, except for the odd packet size
(1405), there's really nothing that seems wrong to me.

The fact that packets not travelling on samba ports don't emit the
"error" is just because tcpdump isn't trying to analyze any smb protocol
on them.

Guntram