[Samba] Packet Size 'Tuning'

Andrew Mark andrewm at aimsystems.ca
Tue Aug 7 12:01:41 MDT 2012

Thanks for your suggestion of WireShark.

I'm hesitant to adjust the MTU of PPP0 too much as I'll have to
ifdown/ifup the ppp0 interface and this is a live environment.
Also, data packets travelling not on port 137-139 or 445 do not emit the
displayed error.

I will implement WireShark and post my findings

Cheers,

Andrew Mark | Development Analyst | www.aimsystems.ca
12-350 Speedvale Ave. W. | Guelph, ON | N1H 7M7 | Canada

On 12-08-07 04:20 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 13:36 -0400, Andrew Mark wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm hoping someone has gone through the pain I'm going through in trying
>> to 'tune' the packet size Samba uses such that we don't get packet
>> overflow errors.
>>
>> I'm getting these error when I perform: #> tcpdump -i ppp0 -n -n
> Isn't this a matter of your MTU on your PPP link if anything?
>
> Is this a real error you are seeing, or just an artifact of tcpdump?
>
> Do you see any real issues with a more modern sniffer, such as wireshark
> (such as fragmentation at the other end)?
>
> Andrew Bartlett

believed to be clean.