[Samba] Samba 3.3.4 - Win7 Latency with MS Office files

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 13:09:14 MDT 2012

name service works at unix level-  it caches user and group looks (e.g.
results of "getent passwd" and "getent group.")   So that could include
winbind if nsswitch.conf includes winbind.

On solaris, it is defined as follows.

bash-3.00# svcs -a | grep name
disabled       Jul_18   svc:/system/name-service-cache:default

Actual executable is nscd (same as linux.)

A DC normally doesn't need winbind since the samba users map directly to
local  unix accounts.  However, the delay could be in the ldap user
retrieval.

I don't use nameservice cache myself because I found that group changes
did not come into effect quick enough.