[Samba] getent group not working

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Aug 8 09:31:19 MDT 2012

On 08/08/12 16:13, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 08/08/12 14:45, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
>> On 08/08/12 13:36, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>
>> [SNIP]

>> Remove it and do a 'getent group HOME\\linuxusers' and see if that
>> works. Should explain why you need the user default domain in there.
>>
>> JAB.
>>
> ok, I removed the line and ran 'getent group HOME\\linuxusers'
> This returned 'HOME\linuxusers:x:3000012:', this is just the same as
> before but with the domain name stuck on the front, 'getent group' still
> returns nothing.
> So as I see it, with ''winbind use default domain = yes' in smb.conf,
> you do not need to give the domain name, but without it you do.
> I still do not see why 'getent group' does not return anything but local
> groups.
>
> Rowland

OK
getent passwd works as does wbinfo -u/-g
getent passwd doesn't

My workgroup is ALTEA
I create a group staff2 with posixGroup and gidNumber of 21114
This works:
getent group ALTEA\\staff2
ALTEA\staff2:x:21114:

Back on the Samba4 DC at debug 3 the getent group command gives around
50 of these:
ldb: ldb: dnAttributes extended match not supported yet

getent group (without specifying a WORKGROUP\\group) returns only local
groups. Unfortunately the question remains the same. Why does getent
group return only local users?

Is this just Ubuntu 12.04 with Samba 3.6.3? Can anyone confirm that it
works on other distros?

Cheers,
Steve