[Samba] getent group not working

Rowland Penny rpenny at f2s.com
Wed Aug 8 08:13:30 MDT 2012

On 08/08/12 14:45, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> On 08/08/12 13:36, Rowland Penny wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
>

>> More info, with 'winbind use default domain = yes' in smb.conf on the
>> client, 'getent group linuxusers' returns the info. Remove 'winbind use
>> default domain = yes' from smb.conf and restart nmbd,smbd & winbind,
>> 'getent group linuxusers' now returns nothing, put the line back &
>> restart the daemons and the info comes back.
>>
>> Why does one line in smb.conf make such a big difference?
>>

> Remove it and do a 'getent group HOME\\linuxusers' and see if that
> works. Should explain why you need the user default domain in there.
>
> JAB.

ok, I removed the line and ran 'getent group HOME\\linuxusers'
This returned 'HOME\linuxusers:x:3000012:', this is just the same as
before but with the domain name stuck on the front, 'getent group' still
returns nothing.
So as I see it, with ''winbind use default domain = yes' in smb.conf,
you do not need to give the domain name, but without it you do.
I still do not see why 'getent group' does not return anything but local
groups.

Rowland

believed to be clean.