[Samba] SMB+LDAP

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 7 22:08:26 MDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 14:37 -0700, Frans Lanting - IT Admin wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> A couple of questions about making SMB (3 or 4) authenticate to an
> external (anonymous) LDAP server:

> Note we have read-only access to our LDAP server, though a record
> could be created for us if absolutely needed.

If you are only able to get anonoymous read only access, then you won't
be able to read any password hash values that you did somehow manage to
get stored into the directory.

In short, it isn't possible to make Samba use this LDAP server directly.

Is there some Windows domain that is synchronised against this directory
that your (presumably) windows clients already use?  This would be what
you would join Samba to.

Andrew Bartlett