[Samba] Making Happy Users ... I need to understand...

Marco Ciampa ciampix at libero.it
Tue Aug 7 16:08:13 MDT 2012

Hello, I'm posting here because I'm in a need to understand.
Sorry for my bad english.

I know that I could figure out how to make it work with a "trial and
error" method but I do want to know how it works and not to do "a là
Windows"...

I work in a high school. Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 Samba 3.2.5 + LDAP (I know
I have to update ...)

Browsing user profiles are useful but they are really slowing down our
network and login times...

so I disabled this option setting in smb.conf from:

    logon home                  = \\%N\profile
    logon path                  = \\%N\profile

to:

    logon home                  =
    logon path                  =

disabling browsing profiles at all.  All works well creating the
profiles on the fly from the Defaul User profile.
But since the browsing profiles are useful,
I followed this guide to use the profile data from the lan:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html#id2581407

and I understand all but this:

> Now follow the procedure given in “The Local Group Policy”. Make
> sure that each folder you have redirected is in the exclusion list.

Why I have to do this? If I have disabled browing profiles (am I right
in disabling this option?) why I should exclude some dirs from the
browsing profiles if they do not actually have any chance to be
replicated?

Many thanks to whom will be so kind to enlight me about this (obscure?)
Samba feature...

--

Marco Ciampa