[Samba] Best way to add samba4 to existing domain

Caleb O'Connell caleb at privacyassociation.org
Tue Aug 7 07:09:32 MDT 2012

I have Samba4 running, and it had a win2k3 server joined to it.  This is
working great.
I'd like to add another Ubuntu 12.04 server with samba4 beta5.  What's the
best join method?

Do I provision the server as a member, then join using samba-tools domain
join <domain>
When I do it looks like it doesn't replicate the directory, just forwards?

Should I provision as a DC with the same settings and then do the join?
This fails with a IO_TIMEOUT sort of error.

Is there another method that I just haven't discovered yet?

Thanks in advance for all the great help.

Caleb