[Samba] Problem accessing Samba Share from Windows

Carlos R. Pena carlosrpevertsz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 10:39:09 MDT 2012

Thank you Andrew,

Your suggestion works very well.

I used this syntax in the smb.conf file:

hosts allow = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/mmm.mmm.mmm.mmm

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the server ip and mmm.mmm.mmm.mmm the subnet mask.

I veryfied all the ips and subnets in the /etc/network/interfaces file
and workstations as well.

Now the workstations see the server by its server name and/or aliases names.

Carlos Pena E.
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

On 8/4/2012 5:28 PM, andrewm at aimsystems.ca wrote:
 > I had this issue before and solved it by adding my subnet to the list
of hosts allowed to access samba.
 > i.e.
 > hosts allow = 127. 192.168.0. (your.subnet.here.)
 > I had this issue when trying to access samba from a machine connected
via our corporate VPN and needed to add the subnet into the list.
Crucial if you need to NAT and masq your IPs.

commands).