[Samba] winbind: uid range is ignored

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Fri Aug 3 02:58:39 MDT 2012

On 03/08/12 07:01, steve wrote:
> On 02/08/12 20:57, NdK wrote:
>> Il 02/08/2012 18:42, steve ha scritto:
>>
>>> The shares are mounted via kerberized nfs on the client and _did_ map
>>> correctly before this thread started.
>> Are you sure you updated /etc/nnsswitch.conf to use winbind after
>> purging the old Samba install?
>>
>> BYtE,
>> Diego.
>>
> Hi
> Yes, I have
>
> passwd: files winbind
> group: files winbind
>
> getent passwd/group works fine. I get the names and coresponding uid:gid
> numbers within the range specified in smb.conf but all I get when I list
> files on the nfs share, are numerical uid:gid values. I want those
> values to be DOMAIN\username DOMAIN\group rather than numerical values.
>
> How do I do that?
>
> The uid:gid values are not in the range set in smb.conf. They are the
> uid:gid values in idmap _on the server_. Its as if nsswitch is ignoring
> winbind.

If I get this correctly you have files on an NFS server with UID/GID
values in say range 10000-19999, and have winbind configured to do
mappings in the range of 20000-29999.

Doh, winbind will look at the UID/GID on the NFS server and go outside
the range I am set to map and do nothing because you have told it to do so.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.