[Samba] Best samba4 network deployment

Caleb O'Connell caleb at privacyassociation.org
Thu Aug 2 10:06:19 MDT 2012

I've been playing around with Samba4 as an AD for a domain.  I like it a lot
and it's been very stable for me.  I've been using Samba 3.5 for a while
with OpenLDAP and connecting win7 computers fine, sharing files fine and
even sharing printers and printer drivers fine.

I'd like to move to Samba4 as by backend LDAP and Authentication server and,
like many, want to also keep all the Samba3 file sharing capabilities that
I've gotten accustomed to.

I thought the best option was to install samba4 on all the servers, making
one the DC and the others as member servers.  Basically distributing the
authentication and the directory.  On my current file server just keep
running samba3 and just joining it to the samba4 domain.  Does this sound
like the best solution for business network?  Is there anything I should be
aware of by setting this up?  If I do setup a network with this
configuration, can I just use ntvfs on all the samba4 computers?  Would that
be more stable?  I know the s3fs is going to be the default file sharing
mechanism in Samba4 but since I'll be using samba3 for filesharing I can
just use the ntvfs, right?

On the file server itself, I can run samba3 and samba4 side by side just
fine, right?  They won't but heads, so long as smbd nmbd listen on their
ports and samba4 listens on the Kerberson and DNS ports, right?

I was just hoping to probe the minds of others who've maybe done this exact
network config.  Also, hopefully help my understanding on best practices
with the current status of the samba project.

Thanks, any answers are greatly appreciated.

Caleb O'Connell