[Samba] winbind is it possible to have the same uid and gid numbers everywhere?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Aug 2 08:19:14 MDT 2012

On 02/08/12 13:54, NdK wrote:
> Il 02/08/2012 13:21, steve ha scritto:
>> Is it possible simply to have the uid/gid pair I set on the server on
>> the clients too?
> Yes and no.
> Actually, it depends on your setup.
> If you have a domain, you can. If not, I doubt...
>
> BYtE,
>   Diego

Hi Diego
Yes, I have a Samba4 domain with Samba3.6 Linux clients attached.

It works OK but the idmap is really confusing. I'd like to be able to
use getent passwd and see the same uid:gid pair of numbers on both DC
and client.

At the moment, the client side ignores the idmap uid range and bases
everything in the idmap gid range instead. Maybe that is a bug in Samba3?

Client smb.conf:
[global]
realm = polop.site
workgroup = POLOP
security = ADS
wide links = Yes
unix extensions = No
template shell = /bin/bash
winbind enum users = Yes
winbind enum groups = Yes
idmap uid = 300000-400000
idmap gid = 20000-30000

Ubuntu 12.04 Samba4 DC and Ubuntu 12.04 Samba3 clients.

Is what I want a possibility?

Cheers,
Steve