[Samba] winbind is it possible to have the same uid and gid numbers everywhere?

NdK ndk.clanbo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 12:52:54 MDT 2012

 Il 02/08/2012 16:19, steve ha scritto:

> At the moment, the client side ignores the idmap uid range and bases
> everything in the idmap gid range instead. Maybe that is a bug in Samba3?
Don't know... I always kept 'em in the same range.

> [global]
> realm = polop.site
> workgroup = POLOP
> security = ADS
> wide links = Yes
> unix extensions = No
> template shell = /bin/bash
> winbind enum users = Yes
> winbind enum groups = Yes
 idmap config POLOP : backend = rid
 idmap config POLOP : base_rid  = 500
 idmap config POLOP : range = 300000-400000

> Is what I want a possibility?
For sure if you keep the same range for UIDs and GIDs.

That's what I'm doing since 3 years from PCs joined to an AD (win 2k3)
domain that needed access to NFS home (hence consistent UID/GID mapping
is a must). And across 2 domains (well, really more, but I was not
interested in the others).

Another (better) fix would be to store uid and gid in Samba schema, but
I can't help you with that sine I can't alter our schema.

BYtE,
 Diego.