[Samba] pam_winbind.conf being ignored

Cade Robinson cade.robinson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 10:39:31 MDT 2011

I have SLES10 machines setup with winbind using the rpms from
http://enterprisesamba.com/.
The machines are working fine to authenticate via winbind but the issue is
that /etc/security/pam_winbind.conf is being ignored.

If I have something like:
debug = yes
require_membership_of = somegoup
try_first_pass = yes
cached_login = yes
mkhomedir = yes
warn_pwd_expire = 14

winbind lets me in regardless of my group membership of "somegroup"
BUT if I put  the require_membership_of directly in the pam files on the
pam_winbind.so lines it works correctly.

I have also tried a setup where I have pam_unix2 call winbind via
call_modules=winbind and the same thing happens where pam_winbind.conf is
ignored and pam_unix2 lets me in.

Anyone have an idea why pam_winbind.conf is ignored?

Thanks