[Samba] Browsing confusion

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Wed Sep 14 17:26:53 MDT 2011

From: steffo76 at gmx.de
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:17:23 +0200

(snip)

> The question is how the clients
> on the other subnets should find the BDC if the PDC is down if only
> one of them has wins support = yes set as suggested in the manpage
> for smb.conf.

As you would understand, WINS server implementation of Samba lacks the
function of replication, which means no redundancy.

Unfortunately, there is no smart way to resolve that:

  1) using samba4wins or WINS server on Windows server
    which can replicate their WINS database to each other.
  2) using LMHOSTS file
  3) using one of some hand-made replication solutions:
   I know 2 solutions in Japan. Both use "wins hook" parameter.
   - http://www.osstech.co.jp/techinfo/samba/wins-push
   - http://wiki.samba.gr.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=WINS-replication

  If you are interested in them, I will translate them in English.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>