[Samba] NT4 SP3 PDC with MS Exchange 5.5 to Samba 3.x ldapbac ked PDC and MS Exchange 5.5 still

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Fri Oct 28 12:00:59 MDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Derek Werthmuller
<dwerthmu at ctg.albany.edu> wrote:
> I did consider this, though the issue is what do I do with the existing NT4
> PDC - I can demote this to BDC but from the samba docs samba PDC and Windows
> BDC is not supported.  And I don't think it can demote the PDC to server
> role.

There is no supported NT4 PDC demotion scenario. But via registry hack
I think you can demote to server and then become a member server. And
Exchange 5.5 can run on member server.

> I'm also trying to be very careful not to make substantial changes to the
> exchange host - I need that working for a short while longer.

That's one reason for dealing with the VM's. I'll be able to test
these changes in a separate virtual environment. Just would be nice to
know if anyone has actually done this and, if doable, what the caveats
and gotchas were.