[Samba] NT4 SP3 PDC with MS Exchange 5.5 to Samba 3.x ldapbac ked PDC and MS Exchange 5.5 still

Derek Werthmuller dwerthmu at ctg.albany.edu
Fri Oct 28 11:51:05 MDT 2011

 >>I have a client in a similar situation. NT4 PDC w/Exchange 5.5 and Samba
member servers. Main problem is that >>they're running an old custom
Outlook/Exchange workflow app which locks them in until it can be replaced.

Similar situation - though we've been able to replicate it fairly easily in
google apps.

>>As you're aware newer then XP cannot join an NT4 domain but can join a
Samba domain - and they will eventually >>need some new desktops. So my
thoughts have been running along the lines of demoting the NT4 PDC and
having a >>Samba server take over those duties. Problem's are the NT4 PDC is
not a supported task, and even if a registry >>hack can accomplish it
(according to an old post by Minasi it should) but the effect on Exchange
after this is >>apparently unknown. Also a test attempt to vampire the PDC
did not work due to capitalization problems (if the >>vampire script did a
lower case conversion this might have been a big start).

I did consider this, though the issue is what do I do with the existing NT4
PDC - I can demote this to BDC but from the samba docs samba PDC and Windows
BDC is not supported.  And I don't think it can demote the PDC to server
role.
I'm also trying to be very careful not to make substantial changes to the
exchange host - I need that working for a short while longer.

Thanks
	Derek