[Samba] Resolution for slow samba speeds on our 10.6 Macs

Nathan A Friedl nate at northwestern.edu
Fri Oct 28 10:00:01 MDT 2011

We recently resolved an issue with a few 10.6 Macs in our environment that were experiencing very slow network speeds (a few KB/s) when browsing or opening files on our samba servers, and I just wanted to share our solution in case anyone else sees this problem.

We had to create sysctl.conf and nsmb.conf files and place them in /etc on the client Macs.  After a reboot, the speeds were back to what we expected from our network.  Macwindows.com has more information on this fix:  http://www.macwindows.com/snowleopard-filesharing.html#091709k

I've included the contents of these conf files below:

Nsmb.conf
------
[default]
streams=no
soft=yes
domain=XXX
notify_off=yes
port445=no_netbios
------

Sysctl.conf
------
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0
------

Nathan Friedl
Systems Analyst/Programmer - Weinberg IT
nate at northwestern.edu<mailto:nate at northwestern.edu>
847-467-6845