[Samba] Linux Samba Server: empty shares on (Mac) clients [solved]

Ray ray at renegade.zapto.org
Fri Oct 28 09:40:24 MDT 2011

Hi,

after not hearing anything about this issue, I found the problem
myself: It is not related to samba, but rather to the AppArmor-Profile
for Samba which comes with openSuSE 11.4. The profile, located in
/etc/apparmor.d/usr/sbin/smbd only permits access to the home
directories on the box, that's why Samba would list the contents of
those and not list the contents of any other shares. Adding directory
entries defined in other Samba share to /etc/apparmor.d/usr/sbin/smbd
solves the problem instantly.

For testing one may simply switch off AppArmor altogether (rcapparmor
stop as root). This will directly make any self-defined Samba shares
fully functional.

Cheers,
Ray