[Samba] NT4 SP3 PDC with MS Exchange 5.5 to Samba 3.x ldapbacked PDC and MS Exchange 5.5 still

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 09:04:36 MDT 2011

If you are getting rid of the exchange server it seems a lot of work to
do the trusts thing.  Having outlook remember your password isn't a
major problem.  Except of course then people are pretty likely to have
forgotten  their e-mail password if they ever use another PC.

I have found Samba trusts to be fairly painful.  I had a Samba 3.0.x PDC
(LDAP backend) which I tried having a trust with a Windows 2003
domain.    In order for trusts to work, the Samba machine uses Idmap to
create a range of unix uid's and gid's for the trusted Windows users.
With Samba 3.0.x, these idmap entries were created but would stop
working after the cache period expired.    I don't know why.  When I
moved to Samba 3.4.x, the expiration issue went away but then idmap
entries were not automatically.   We didn't have many people in the
Windows 2003 domain so I can manually create idmap entries as needed.

My gut feeling is that any changes you make to support Windows 7
machines will break compatibility with legacy machines  (e.g. NT4) or
the domain trusts-  altho installing the latest NT4 SP pack (6a?) may help.

Could you make migrate the PDC role from your NT server to a samba 3.4.x
or 3.5.x server?   I don't think Exchange 5.5 has to be on the domain
controller.

At my work we have a Samba domain for most of the users and computers.
We also have a separate untrusted  Win 2008 domain just to support our
Exchange 2007 server.    It would be nice if we could consolidate to a
single domain (or at least a single Active Directory tree) but for the
moment people have to maintain separate e-mail accounts.

FYI-  I had a look at the latest version of Zimbra- it looks like a
pretty nice product for a small business, if you decide not to go with
the hosting route.    I do like Exchange 2007 but it can be a big
challenge to set up and maintain, and you really have to have a
background with Active Directory and Exchange.    Not what I would use
for a really small site.