[Samba] How to alter domain name in Windows logon cache

Marc Rechté marc3 at rechte.fr
Fri Oct 21 01:41:16 MDT 2011

Le 19/10/2011 19:32, Gaiseric Vandal a écrit :
> XP or Win 7?
>
> Can they login specifying the SERVER name in the from field? Or may
> login as "SERVER\username."
>

> I had something a little weird with Win 7 clients where they
> occasionally had problems logging in offline with domain credentials.
> (This happended if they did hibernate instead of a shutdown before
> disconnecting from the LAN.) They would be able to login specifying the
> server name instead of the domain name. I belive the SID for all the
> DC's is the same anyway.
>

> I had 3 domain controllers at the time - Alpha, Gamma , Zeta. the domain
> name was Beta. Those aren't actually the names BUT the alphabetical
> order was the same. An offline Win 7 user if unable to login as
> BETA\username might be able to login as ALPHA\username.
>

> On 10/19/2011 12:59 PM, Marc Rechté wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am faced with the exact same problem described here:
>>
>> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2008-October/144077.html
>>
>> Viz my server is out of order and nobody (except one lucky user) can
>> open his session from the Windows cache.
>>
>> I am quite sure that the problem resides in the domain name being
>> wrong within the account (the server BIOS name instead of the domain
>> name).
>>
>> The server is down (hardware fault) and therefore pdebedit -I <domain>
>> <user> is not accessible.
>>
>> Is there a way to hack the Windows cache (registry ?) to alter that
>> field in order to allow the user to open its session and recover his /
>> her "My documents" ?
>>
>> Many thanks

Gaiseric,

Thanks a lot for your helpful message. We finally managed to open
offline XP session by specifying "SERVEUR\username" instead of "username"

Now the server has been repaired and I checked the accounts with
pdbedit: all users except the lucky one have the domain set to the
server name instead of the WORKGROUP smb.conf parameter value.

Best regards