[Samba] XP machine wont join domain

Lachlan Musicman datakid at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 18:24:38 MDT 2011

Hi all,

FWIW, I've solved this problem.

I saw here: lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2003-April/065870.html

that 'only root can add a machine to a domain'.

I thought this was odd and incorrect, and the post was from 2003, so I
didn't hold out hope, but at this stage, I'd try anything.

I "changed" the root passwd via smbldap-passwd and tried adding the
machine to the domain using the root user and viola, problem solved.

Out of interest though - is it still the case that only root can add a
machine to the domain?

cheers
L.

--
The politician’s syllogism, also known as the politician’s logic or
the politician’s fallacy, is a logical fallacy of the form: