[Samba] XP machine wont join domain

Lachlan Musicman datakid at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 22:15:36 MDT 2011

Hi

I'm on ubuntu 10.04 LTS fully up to date.

Am running a samba-ldap server but for some reason I can't connect a
new fully updated XP machine to the domain.

I've added other machines (6 months ago now, none since) successfully.

I see a file /var/log/samba/log.machinename, but
/var/log/samba/log.nmbd and /var/log/samba/log.smbd don't have
anything of note.

Using 'net rpc rights list' I have confirmed that my user can add
users/machines to the domain.

There is no firewall problem - there is no firewall between these
machines, as they are on a local LAN together and the XP's firewall is
disabled.

I can successfully map a shared drive on the XP machine using the same
credentials. (and, in fact, if I don't disconnect that share, I get a
different error about not being able to have more than one connection
at the same time)

Samba conf is here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/713761/

I've tried changing security from user to domain and back, without success.

The error I get after entering the same credentials as above is
"Access is denied".

Any ideas? Even any pointers on how I might trace the network traffic
to see where the issues are, since there's no data in the logs of
note?

I'm not excellent at the smb/ldap, and while I did set this server up,
I didn't configure the smbldap part of the set up, so I'm not 100%
sure or certain about what is happening there - am I doing something
wrong in that regard?

Other machines and users are happily connected to the server over
smb/ldap, and when I look at their computer->properties, it says they
are on the domain SBLS, which is what I expected and what I am trying
to connect the current machine to.

Any help appreciated.

cheers
L.

--
The politician’s syllogism, also known as the politician’s logic or
the politician’s fallacy, is a logical fallacy of the form: