[Samba] Linux users and Samba 4

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Nov 30 09:40:44 MST 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 17:37 +0100, steve wrote:
> On 30/11/11 16:40, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> > Matthieu,
> > On 30/11/2011 08:09, steve wrote:
> >> Yep. I realise the 'alphaness' of Samba 4 but I think I am not alone
> >> with my issue. I think I should be easy to fix now before it goes beta.
> > Certainly true, why not trying to start working on solution on your own,
> > by doing the first move you have much more insurance that someone else
> > will help you to make it good for master tree.
> Well, I'm no developer and only have an old laptop running from a usb
> memory stick for testing but I've made a start by adding a home
> directory attribute to Samba 4 user database using phpldapadmin. But now
> I'm stuck since I don't know where or how the roaming profiles are
> stored. In Samba 3 there were stored in the /home of the user.

The statement "In Samba 3 there were stored in the /home of the user" is
false.  They are stored where they are configured to be stored;  we do
not store profiles in home directories [and generall i think that is a
bad idea].  Samba4 provisions a shared volume for storing a user's
roaming profile.

By default something like -