[Samba] Linux users and Samba 4

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Nov 30 09:37:19 MST 2011

On 30/11/11 16:40, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> Matthieu,
> On 30/11/2011 08:09, steve wrote:
>>
>> Yep. I realise the 'alphaness' of Samba 4 but I think I am not alone
>> with my issue. I think I should be easy to fix now before it goes beta.
>>
> Certainly true, why not trying to start working on solution on your own,
> by doing the first move you have much more insurance that someone else
> will help you to make it good for master tree.
>
> Matthieu.

Well, I'm no developer and only have an old laptop running from a usb
memory stick for testing but I've made a start by adding a home
directory attribute to Samba 4 user database using phpldapadmin. But now
I'm stuck since I don't know where or how the roaming profiles are
stored. In Samba 3 there were stored in the /home of the user. With AD
it seems that they are all be saved in a [profiles] share. That bit I
think I understand so I think the solution to single sign on with Samba
4 would be linking the roaming profile to a users /home folder. Or make
the profiles share subfolder the /home folder for Linux. With Samba3 and
LDAP, all this was centralised and easy to administer. In openSUSE, YAST
would create an LDAP user for you and give him the Samba attributes he
needed. It even created his home folder too. It was simple for a linux
user to logon to windows and vica versa. Samba 4 takes away this
centralisation. It also has the inconvenience of having to use windows
to administer the Samba server.

I feel that Samba dev's have forgotten that Linux clients are just as
important as windows clients in the network. They seem to think that
Linux is only ever used as a server and clients are only ever windows 7!

Another bit I don't get is where is a file that is created on a windows
client is stored on the Samba server? The documentation is not clear
here. As basic as that.

Does any of this make sense?

Cheers
Steve.