[Samba] Linux users and Samba 4

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 23:50:56 MST 2011

On 29 November 2011 21:34, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
> On 29/11/11 20:20, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 20:09 +0100, steve wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a LAN of linux and win7 clients currently with Samba 3.6 and
>>> LDAP. Linux users authenticate against LDAP and are placed in their
>>> nfs'd /home folder. The same user can also logon to windows. His roaming
>>> profile is stored in his /home folder. (something like .msprofile_v2)
>>> How do I transfer my current Linux/Samba 3/LDAP users over to
>>> Linux/Samba 4?
>>

>> Samba4's winbind does not support RFC2307,  so doing this is pretty
>> rough.  I think you need to either use CIFS + winbind everywhere or
>> somehow maintain an external idmap.
>>
>> Yea, it is horrible.  We are staring down the barrell of the same gun.
>>

> I don't believe it. So with samba 4, we are back to having to have two
> separate accounts and two passwords. AgghhH!!!
>
> So, after all this, I've now found out that Samba 4 only caters for windows
> clients; it does not provide the single sign on that samba3/LDAP offers.
>
> That can't be true can it?
>
> Any ideas anyone?

Bear in mind that Samba 4 is still alpha.  There has not been a
production release yet.

As Jeremy said, they are discussing what needs to be done before
releasing Samba 4.0.0 and how to reconcile Samba 3's winbind and Samba
4's winbind etc., so if something that is critical for you does not
currently work, you should file a bug report.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>