[Samba] Linux users and Samba 4 (bug submitted)

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Tue Nov 29 22:42:47 MST 2011

> On 29/11/11 20:34, steve wrote:
>>>
>>> Samba4's winbind does not support RFC2307, so doing this is pretty
>>> rough. I think you need to either use CIFS + winbind everywhere or
>>> somehow maintain an external idmap.
>>>
>>> Yea, it is horrible. We are staring down the barrell of the same gun.
>>>

>> I don't believe it. So with samba 4, we are back to having to have two
>> separate accounts and two passwords. AgghhH!!!
>>
>> So, after all this, I've now found out that Samba 4 only caters for
>> windows clients; it does not provide the single sign on that samba3/LDAP
>> offers.
>>
>> That can't be true can it?
>>
>> Any ideas anyone?
>> Thanks
>> Steve.
>
> For many this is a Samba 4 show stopper.
>
> Just found the bugzilla and signed up:
> The Samba-Bugzilla – Bug 8635 Submitted
>
> Thanks
> Steve
BTW. Samba3 winbind with idmap ad configured as an AD client (see the
docs) can work with samba4 (which support storing rfc2307 attributes,
just not obeying them). For configuring Samba4 recommended reading:
http://phaedrus77.blogspot.com/2010/04/samba4-ad-domain-controller-to-serve.html
which uses nss-ldap and pam-krb5 which is als possible.

Cheers

Geza