[Samba] Cannot access a share outside a share after upgrade

Jobst Schmalenbach jobst at barrett.com.au
Tue Nov 29 18:16:03 MST 2011

Hi.

I have a share that I can only access as root that has a few symlinks in it to make it easy for me to access files/dirs.
I used to be able to access before upgrade to

  [root] #>smbd -V
  Version 3.5.4-0.83.el5_7.2

Now it simply displays an error "Access denied"

I have in the smb.conf file the following:

   [SHARE_NAME_MASKED]
     path = /THIS_IS_MY_PATH
     valid users = @domadmins
     admin users = root
     read only = No
     create mask = 0660
     force create mode = 0770
     directory mask = 0770
     force directory mode = 06770
     browseable = No
     follow symlinks = yes
     wide links = yes

and in /etc/group

     domadmins:x:GROUPID_MASKED:root

I have not changed any other setting after upgrade of samba, nor have I changed file/directory permissions.

Any ideas anyone?
Jobst

--
Pledge of allegiance: I Pledge Allegiance To the Flag That Appears on my Desktop Startup Screen. And to the Monopoly For Which it Stands; One Operating System Over All, Inescapable, With Freedom and Privacy for none.