[Samba] Samba Permissions vs Linux Permissions

Greg Byshenk samba at byshenk.net
Sat Nov 26 10:43:47 MST 2011

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 04:46:02PM -0000, Stephen Elliott wrote:

> I understand that Linux permissions override Samba permissions. But is it
> also the case that the Samba permissions override the Linux permissions?
>
> Example:
>
> I have a samba share called "SHARE". This is disabled by default and is
> configured for write access by group "MY_GROUP".
>
> The permissions of all files and folders within /c/SHARE are 777
> (rwxrwxrwx).
>
> Now, if a user called "David" belonging to group "users" tried to access
> "\\READYNAS\SHARE\document.doc" would they have permission? I believe not
> but am looking for confirmation?

> My testing and understanding, leads me to the conclusion that both Samba and
> Linux permissions override each other. The most restrictive set win. Am I
> correct?

Your understanding is basically correct.

That said, "override each other", is not really correct, though your
second summary is close to the truth. That is, Samba permissions may
be more restrictive than filesystem (Linux or otherwise) permissions,
but may not be more open; in the end the filesystem is the master.

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk at byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL