[Samba] Samba Permissions vs Linux Permissions

Stephen Elliott techweb at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 26 10:52:31 MST 2011

Thanks Greg...

My testing has shown this also. The SMB protocol / operation is independent
of the Linux permissions.

Here is the analogy I have used to explain it to somebody else:

Think of 3 office blocks (these represent shares). Each office block has 3
floors (represent folders). Each floor has 3 offices (represent files)

If I don't have the key to an office block (permission granted by samba)
then even if I have keys to every floor and office in the building (777
Linux permissions), I can't go beyond the front door.