[Samba] I can browse but can't modify or create files

Steve Swanekamp steve.swanekamp at nrl.navy.mil
Wed Nov 16 10:35:07 MST 2011

Hello,
I am having trouble getting my samba share to work properly.  We are running CentOS and the samba version is

samba.x86_64                    3.0.33-3.29.el5_7.4

The problem that I am having is that I can see all the shares and browse the directories but I can not create or modify files.  Whenever I try to create or modify a file I get an "Access Denied" pop-up window.  This is true wether I start from the Windows or Linux boxes.  Below you will find the global section from my smb.conf.
Steve

smb.conf

[global]
#--authconfig--start-line--

# Generated by authconfig on 2011/10/20 11:11:09
# DO NOT EDIT THIS SECTION (delimited by --start-line--/--end-line--)
# Any modification may be deleted or altered by authconfig in future

 workgroup = ppower
 password server = 132.250.142.156
 realm = PPOWER.NRL.NAVY.MIL
 security = ads
 idmap uid = 1000-60000
 idmap gid = 1000-60000
 winbind separator = /
 template homedir = /export/home/%U
 template shell = /bin/bash
 winbind use default domain = Yes
; winbind offline logon = no

#--authconfig--end-line--

#computer
; netbios name = ppdcollective
 server string = "The Collective"

#main settings
;   idmap domains = PPOWER
;   idmap config PPOWER:backend      = rid
;   idmap config PPOWER:base_rid     = 0
;   idmap config PPOWER:range        = 20000 - 49999

 idmap config PPOWER:backend = rid
 idmap config PPOWER:range = 10000-60000
 idmap config BUILTIN:backend = rid
 idmap config BUILTIN:range = 1000-9999

#templates

#winbind
 winbind enum users = yes
 winbind enum groups = yes
; wins support = no

#logons
; client use spnego = yes
; encrypt passwords = yes
; guest account = nobody
; interfaces = lo eth0 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24
 hosts allow = 132.250.0.0/255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1
 hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
 obey pam restrictions = yes
 pam password change = yes

#misc
; username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
; socket options = TCP_noDELAY SO_RCVBUF = 8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

#domain
#say yes to local master because there is no DC on this subnet
; domain master = no
; local master = yes
; os level = 33
; dns proxy = no

#logs
 log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log
 # max 50KB per log file, then rotate
 max log size = 50

# --------------------------- Printing Options -----------------------------
#
# Load Printers let you load automatically the list of printers rather
# than setting them up individually
#
# Cups Options let you pass the cups libs custom options, setting it to raw
# for example will let you use drivers on your Windows clients
#
# Printcap Name let you specify an alternative printcap file
#
# You can choose a non default printing system using the Printing option

; load printers = yes
; cups options = raw

; printcap name = /etc/printcap
; #obtain list of printers automatically on SystemV
; printcap name = lpstat
; printing = cups

# --------------------------- Filesystem Options ---------------------------
#
# The following options can be uncommented if the filesystem supports
# Extended Attributes and they are enabled (usually by the mount option
# user_xattr). Thess options will let the admin store the DOS attributes
# in an EA and make samba not mess with the permission bits.
#
# Note: these options can also be set just per share, setting them in global
# makes them the default for all shares

; map archive = no
; map hidden = no
 map read only = no